How do you make au gratin potatoes from scratch?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash potatoes and slice into 1/8′ thin slices. Slice onion as thin as possible.
- Layer potatoes and onions in little stacks. Place stacks upright in a greased casserole dish.
- Melt butter & flour in a sauce pan and cook 2-3 minutes. …
- Spoon cheese sauce over potatoes.
Do you Soak potatoes for au gratin?
In this classic gratin, thinly sliced potatoes soak up all the goodness of a milk-and-cream mixture that has been spiked with nutmeg. A sprinkling of grated Gruyere cheese on top becomes gooey in the oven. Using a mandoline creates thin slices, which helps the gratin cook more evenly.
How do you make creamy scalloped potatoes from scratch?
Put the potatoes in a large pot. Whisk the cream, flour, bay leaf, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper in a bowl, then pour over the potatoes. Cook over medium heat, carefully stirring occasionally, until the cream just comes to a simmer, about 12 minutes.
Can you prep au gratin potatoes ahead of time?
Make Ahead: This dish can be assembled a day ahead; cover tightly with plastic wrap (pressing the wrap directly against the potatoes so they don’t discolor), store in the refrigerator, and bake before serving. The potatoes on top will still discolor a bit in the fridge, but it shouldn’t be noticeable after baking.
How do you make Jamie Oliver potato gratin?
- 1 small knob butter.
- 200 ml semi-skimmed milk.
- 300 ml double cream.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and finely sliced.
- sea salt.
- freshly ground black pepper.
- 2.5 kg potatoes , peeled and thinly sliced.
Can you slice potatoes ahead of time for scalloped potatoes?
A: The short answer I recommend is yes, almost always. If sliced and then placed into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes till the slices have a rubbery consistency, this blanching will help stop the oxidation process.
What can I add to boxed scalloped potatoes?
12 Easy Upgrades for Potatoes
- Bacon + French Fried Onions + Green Onions. …
- Caramelized Onions. …
- Sautéed Mushrooms + White Truffle Oil. …
- Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles + Pepper Jack Cheese. …
- Crumbled Sausage + Cheddar Cheese. …
- Basil Pesto Stir. …
- Taco Seasoning + Mexicorn. …
- Gorgonzola Cheese + Butter.
Can you make scalloped potatoes ahead of time and reheat?
To reheat, bring them to close to room temperature, if you have time for that, and bake about 30 minutes at 350°. If they are refrigerator cold, they will take a good 45 minutes to reheat. These potatoes are very flexible. They do not discolor with this treatment.
How do you thinly slice potatoes?
Take your gold potatoes and slice them in half. One at a time, you slice them thinly with a mandoline. You can, of course, use a knife but a mandoline is way easier and you’ll get a more consistent cut. Place the sliced potatoes in a pan.
Why are my scalloped potatoes still hard?
Potatoes or rice can remain rock-hard after prolonged cooking. Starch will not swell if it is acidic. If you have a lot of sour cream in your scalloped potatoes or add something acidic, your potatoes may not soften. You can cook the potatoes with heavy cream or milk and then, after they soften, stir in sour cream.
How do you thicken up scalloped potatoes?
How to Thicken Scalloped Potatoes
- Once you have the milk mixture (in the recipe below) made. …
- Using a fork, mix the cornstarch and milk mixture together until there are no more lumps.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture back into the pot of milk and whisk together.
- Let cook for 1 more minute, this should thicken up the sauce.
What is the difference between gratin and scalloped?
To Cheese or Not To Cheese
Still, the modern, acceptable difference between the two is that au gratin potatoes have cheese whereas scalloped potatoes are simply potatoes cooked in cream.
What do you eat with au gratin potatoes?
What To Eat With Au Gratin Potatoes
- Easy Roasted Pork Tenderloin.
- Garlic Roasted Pork Chops.
- Roasted Chicken.
- Honey Mustard Chicken.
- Roast Beef.
- Pan-Roasted Steak.