What is a good substitute for mayonnaise in tuna salad?
Use these, instead.
- Avocado: Creamy and dense, like mayo. – Smear on sandwiches, and save 77 calories, 9g fat, and 89mg sodium per tablespoon. …
- Hummus: Nutty and fluffy. Thick, like mayo. …
- Greek Yogurt: Tart and tangy like mayo, same texture, too. …
- Pesto: Oil-based, like mayo. …
- Nut butter. …
- An Egg. …
- More Mayonnaise Ideas:
What can I mix with canned tuna?
35 Yummy Nutritionist-Approved Ways to Eat Canned Tuna
- Swap tuna into your favorite salmon or crab cake recipe.
- Mix tuna into vegetable- or potato-based soup or into stew instead of chicken. …
- If you’re sticking with a simple salad on the run, swap mayo for Greek yogurt, and mix in some Dijon mustard.
- Try using cottage cheese in place of mayo or Greek yogurt.
What spices are good with canned tuna?
Grab a jar of some Cajun seasoning and shake some into your tuna salad mix. Or, if you don’t have any pre-made, add cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and maybe even some dried thyme and basil, if you feel like it.
Is tuna and mayo good?
Tuna is a healthy food. But when folks make tuna salad, they tend to go overboard on the mayo adding tons of extra calories and fat. One cup of mayo has a whopping 1440 calories, 160 grams fat, and 24 grams saturated fat. It’ll also tack on almost 50 percent of your daily recommended amount of sodium.
Can I use sour cream instead of mayonnaise?
Sour cream can be used as is, or with other ingredients, in dressings, for salads and for sandwiches, substituting directly for mayonnaise. Add sour cream in place of mayonnaise in cream-based dressings.
Can you use Greek yogurt instead of mayo?
Using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise still creates a creamy, delightful tang—but without the empty calories that mayo is so well known for. Ingredients: ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt. 3 ½ Tbsp.
What can you add to tuna to make it taste better?
5 ways to spice up a can of tuna
- Sandwich Wrap: Add White Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Scallions and Lemon. …
- Antipasto Salad: Add Chickpeas, Chopped Veggies, Capers and Fresh Herbs. …
- Dinner Salad: Add Green Beans, Potatoes, Eggs and Olives. …
- Quick Dinner: Add Tomatoes, Pasta, Garlic and Parsley. …
- Casserole: Add Mushrooms, Peas, Pasta, Creamy Sauce and Breadcrumbs.
Can you eat tuna straight out of the can?
Tuna and most canned fish is cooked before it is canned. This means you could actually eat it straight from the can with no cooking if you so desired.
What is the healthiest way to eat tuna?
Add extra veggies: Add crunch and nutrients to your tuna salad with extra veggies like carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, or red onion. Avocado: This salad can be made with avocado instead of the mayonnaise and Greek yogurt. You could also stir in chopped avocado for some additional healthy fats and creamy texture.
Is canned tuna healthy?
Tuna, for its part, is a source of high-quality protein with almost no fat. It contains all essential amino acids required by the body for growth and maintenance of lean muscle tissue. Canned tuna can be a good source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, with 150 milligrams or more per four-ounce serving.
What are the ingredients for tuna salad?
Why is Mayo bad for you?
Mayonnaise gets a bad rap for several reasons. For one, it’s high in fat and calories. Just 1tbsp of the stuff packs 90 calories and 10g of fat, the latter of which is 15.4% of your daily recommended intake.
Is tuna with mayo good for weight loss?
A healthier tuna salad
1 cup of mayo has more than 1400 calories and 24g of fat. This healthy tuna salad is full of flavor, light on calories and super easy to whip for lunch any day of the week! Swap the mayo for greek yogurt and dijon mustard and save those calories for a treat later.